While working on our computer we expect our essential apps near at hand just like keeping essential items handy while cooking. Luckily, Windows 10 let us keep apps on startup to easily navigate. Moreover, running frequently used programs at startup makes you hassle-free. Albeit, it can make your computer slow if you have too many apps at startup. Therefore, if you have an older PC, it will make you burst into rage.
Consequently, it will be better to minimize those apps’ quantity by learning “how to change What apps open on startup Windows 10”. It is possible to disable unnecessary apps as well as enable other apps at startup. Disabling or enabling apps at startup is not hard. You can know every detail from the following article.
What is the startup folder?
Windows 10 runs all the programs enlisted in the startup folder when you open your computer or immediately log into your user account. It is an automatic process of Windows 10. As a Windows 10 user, you have to access the startup folder from user files. Typically, the startup folder only contains programs that the user wants to run automatically.
However, the more you install the software, it gets enlisted on the startup folder. Albeit, some software’s or programs ask for your permission to run in the startup. Also, there are some programs and files that are part of your operating system. Those programs cannot be disabled.
The process of changing What apps open on startup Windows 10
- At first, click the Windows icon or start icon at the right-side bottom of your computer, and then you can see a new popup window on your screen. Also, you can open that by pressing the Windows key on the keyboard. After that, type for “Startup Apps” in the search bar.
- Now, click on the “Startup Apps” and it will open a window with some applications that open on your startup. Notably, these apps are lined up by their impact on CPU or memory usage. So, you may experience slow startups due to that impact.
- Now, you can disable the programs that seem unnecessary in the startup. There could be some programs that you do not know. If you query those unknowns, it will be better to search for them on the internet to know and then disable those you recognize unnecessary.
How to stop programs from running at startup windows 10?
- Firstly, Right-click the Windows icon on the bottom right corner of the screen and open the taskbar. Or you can just press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to open the task manager.
- After that, a small window will popup. You will see a “More Details” option at the bottom right side of that window.
- Now, select the startup tab that you can find at the top of that window.
- Now, you will see apps along with their startup impact. So, to disable your required one, you have to Right-click on the apps and then click disable at the bottom right side of that window.
How to set What apps open on startup Windows 10
- Firstly, click the Windows icon or start icon at the bottom’s right-side of your computer, and a new pop up window will open on your desktop screen. You can also open this by pressing the Windows key on the bottom left side of your keyboard. After that, search for the app that you want to run at startup.
- Now, Right-click on the app. Then select “More.”
- After that, select “Open File Location.” You can’t find this option in some apps. This means you can’t run that app at startup.
- After entering the file location, copy the program’s icon.
- Next, press Windows key+R. Immediately after, the run application will open.
- Finally, type “shell: startup” in the Run window and press Enter. Paste the shortcut in the new folder that appears and then paste it by pressing “ctrl+V.”
If there are any apps that you always use, it should be better to keep those apps at startup. However, you have to monitor what apps get enlisted in the startup continuously. Too many apps at startup make your system slow to boot. Now you know how to change what apps open on startup Windows 10 and disable or enable whatever applications you want. I hope this article was helpful enough to solve your problems.
How do I change my startup impact?
The Windows let you change your startup impact for the program, for that you have to set them to low impact. Here the impact measure of how the action of the program affects the startup. However, if you want to make the system startup faster easily, you need to remove high-impact programs from startup.
What does the startup impact column indicate?
You can know how much or little a program influences your computer’s startup time through the startup impact column. Here are some criteria from Microsoft that determine the impact value.
- High impact–The program uses CPU time more than 1 second or disk I/O at startup more than 3 MB.
- Medium impact– The program uses CPU time 300 ms – 1000 ms or disk I/O 300 KB – 3 MB.
- Low impact — The program uses CPU time less than 300 ms and disk I/O less than 300 KB.
How do I change Windows startup sound?
Following steps will change your Windows 10 startup sound easily.
- Firstly, you need to navigate the Run dialogue box then type regedit on there and click OK to open Registry Editor.
- Now, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/AppEvents/EventLabels => locate WindowsLogon=> click ExcludeFromCPL on WindowsLogon and then change the value data from 1 to 0.