If I ask you to know a present blessing in the technological field, you may keep the wireless technology in the first list. Those who use the internet through the wire know how tiresome it is while fixing the twisted problem. Today, users mostly depend on a Wi-Fi connection to get connected with the network. While searching for the network in WiFi, you may come to see a network named “Hidden Network.”
It may not seem hidden to you because you can already see its name. But while attempting to connect with it, you will get to know what’s hidden in this network. However, it is not impossible to communicate with a hidden network. All you need is the name, password, and security information of that hidden network. This article will get to know what is hidden network Windows 10 and the different ways to connect with it.
What is a Hidden Network?
Did you ever wonder why any device can detect the presence of Wi-Fi networks around you? This is because Wi-Fi routers transmit a so-called signal called SSID. The full meaning is the Service Set Identifier. Especially, Wi-Fi routers transmit this SSID signal every 100 milliseconds. So, any device comes to know about the Wi-Fi networks around you with their names. Albeit, you have to collect the password from the owner.
Surprisingly, some routers do not transmit the SSID signal. This is because the owner turned on the hidden network option. Or you can say, the owner likes his privacy. So, he put a mask on his Wi-Fi network. If you turn on the hidden network option, the router won’t broadcast SSID. So, your Wi-Fi remains undetected to all devices.
Furthermore, this option used to be a popular security mechanism in the past. But in the present, you can unveil the detailed information of a hidden network with the favor of some tools.
How can I Connect with a Hidden Network on Windows 10?
We all know how to connect with a visible Wi-Fi network. But how to connect with a hidden network? Precisely, three possible ways will guide you to connect with a hidden network on Windows 10. However, you will need some manual information about that network. Which are:
- The Service Set Identifier (SSID) of that hidden Wi-Fi network.
- The password to connect.
- The type of security or encryption used by that particular Wi-Fi network. For example, a Wi-Fi network can use WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK, WEP key. Note those WEP and WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK keys.
Don’t get shocked! You can get all this information from the owner of that Wi-Fi network.
- At first, activate the Wi-Fi, and the available Wi-Fi networks will be visible. The easiest way to open Wi-Fi is by clicking the Wi-Fi icon on the taskbar.
- You will be able to see every visible Wi-Fi networks surrounding your area. Keep scrolling to the bottom until you see the name “Hidden Network.”
- Click the Hidden Network. Mark “Connect automatically.”. Then press “Connect.”
- To connect with a hidden network, you have to enter the name of the Wi-Fi along with its password. At first, type the name and select Next. Then enter the password and choose again next.
After that Windows 10 attempts to gather some information to connect with the network. Next, Windows 10 will ask for your permission if you want to be invisible. Or do you want to be discoverable by other devices on this hidden network? If this is a home network you can choose yes. But that’s all up to you.
Finally, your device will be connected to this hidden network.
2nd Method: (By Using Windows Setting)
You can also connect with a hidden network through Settings.
Step-1: Click Windows/Start and click the Settings icon. Then select the “Network and Internet” option.
Step-2: Then select Wi-Fi, which you will see on your left sidebar of the window. After that, select “Manage Known Networks.”
Step-3: After entering “Manage Known Networks,” you will see a “+ Add a new network.” Click the + option.
Step-4: Then, you have to provide some information about that hidden network.
- Type the name or SSID of that hidden network in the “Network Name” field.
- In the “Security type” bar, enter the type of security protocol that the network use. You may have to specify an encryption type depending on the network security.
- Again in the “Security key” bar, type the password.
- Now, choose “Connect automatically.” Also, you can choose, “Connect even if the network is not broadcasting.” So, Windows 10 will always search for that particular hidden network. Even if the network is not active or not in range, your device will try to connect with it. However, your privacy can be at risk for that. Besides, it will consume your battery power while searching for that particular network.
Save the network. After that, whenever you open Wi-Fi, you will be connected with that hidden network immediately.
In case, you use an older version of Windows 10, and then the first two methods would not work. You have to try an alternate way.
- Search in the Windows bar for “Control Panel.” Enter “Network and Internet” and then click “Network and Sharing Center.” Then click “Set up a new connection or network.”
- After entering the “Set up a new connection or network” window, choose “Manually connect to a wireless network,” Click Next.
- Now, the process is more likely to the second method.
Type the name or SSID of that hidden network in the “Network Name” field.
In the “Security type” bar, enter the type of security protocol that the network use. You may have to specify an encryption type depending on the network security.
In the “Security key” bar, type the password.
Choose “Start this connection automatically.” Also, you can choose, “Connect even if the network is not broadcasting.” So that, Windows 10 will always search for that particular hidden network. Even if the network is not active or not in range, your device will try to connect with it. However, your privacy can be at risk for that. Besides, it will consume your battery power while searching for that particular network. Better not to choose this option.
If you follow all the process above, then you should be connected automatically. Select “Close,” and you are all set.
As discussed, you already know about what is hidden network Windows 10. Besides, you also know how to connect with a hidden network. Comparatively, it is a bit complex procedure than connecting with a regular Wi-Fi network. Also, you can use this mechanism to increase your security. Though, those who know about this network, can reveal the pieces of information with some fancy tools. I hope this article helped you clear any information’s about a hidden network.
You may also have interested to know:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I get rid of a hidden network?
To get rid of a hidden network, you have to follow the following steps:
- Firstly, you have to click Network settings.
- Next, click Manage Wi-Fi settings.
- Now you can delete the network under Manage known networks and then click forget.
How do I automatically connect to a hidden network?
The following steps will lead you to connect to a hidden network automatically.
- Firstly, place the password (used by the hidden WiFi) in the Security key field.
- If you don’t let others see your typed password, you have to check the box named “Hide characters.”
- Finally, you have to check the box named “Start this connection automatically” to connect to the hidden network automatically.