Do you want to know the process how to Install cab files Windows 10? If you are a Windows 10 user, you may find some files with .cab format in the Windows Update packages when you update your OS. To clarify, let’s see an example: after updating Windows 10 KB3194496, the update package for Cumulative Update will come in .cab format, but usually, the update package comes in .msu format.
CAB files hold system files or drivers related to various Windows installations and are popular for packaging multiple files efficiently. Whatever you get after finishing the installation, you need to install all the files to successfully finish the update. Here one of the common questions that usually comes from computer users is how to install cab files Windows 10. Typically, it seems complex; hopefully, our discussion will make the process straightforward.
What is a CAB file extension?
Have any idea about the CAB file? Well, the CAB file (or Cabinet file) is known as a compressed archive file, and it is typically used to deliver software installation files to a user’s computer. Moreover, using CAB files, your computer ensures fast delivery times while downloading files from a website.
As native to Microsoft Windows, CAB format supports multiple data compression algorithms, like Quantum, LZX, and Zip. Multiple Microsoft installers (including SetUp API, AdvPack, and Device Installer) use CAB files. Besides, the CAB file holds a digital signature that ensures installing files are coming from a trusted source. However, the CAB format has no XML file, the installation engine, or the metadata file.
The process of installing the CAB file using the DISM command
Here we enlist the process of installing a .cab file using Command Prompt, so follow to install smoothly.
- Firstly, press the Windows logo from the keyboard or click the Start icon from the taskbar’s left end to open.
- Now, type the word Command Prompt in the search box and then right-click the top result to choose the Run as administrator option.
- After that, to install the CAB file, you need to type the following command and then press Enter.
dism /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:”PATH\TO\CAB”
For instance, the following command will help you to get the update KB4562830 on your Windows 10 PC:
dism /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:”C:\Users\username\Downloads\windows10.0-kb4562830.cab”
After completing the steps, you can install the package on your PC. Note: the update files may require restarting the PC to finish the installation.
The process of extracting CAB file on Windows 10
You don’t need to install the .cab file immediately after getting it. Some developers are seen to use just the cabinet container as a compressed folder to distribute exact content.
The following steps will lead you to extract a .cab file.
- Firstly, launch File Explorer and then browse to the folder with the cabinet file.
- Now, click twice on the .cab file and then choose all the contents using Ctrl+A.
- After that, right-click on your selected files and choose the Extract option from there.
- Next, choose the folder destination where you wish to store your extracted files.
- Finally, click the Extract button.
Once you finish the steps, you can use the files to install the driver, update, or application on your PC.
The process of installing the CAB file for driver update
You are installing a driver, and you can’t install the package successfully using the DISM tool. In that case, by following the below steps, hopefully, you may be able to extract the CAB file’s content to install the driver manually.
- First of all, launch File Explorer and then navigate to the folder with the achieve-file.
- Now, click twice on the CAB file to launch it and select all the contents using Ctrl + A.
- Next, click the mouse’s right button on the selection and then select the Extract option there.
- Then choose the folder destination to extract the files =>; click the Extract button => open Start.
- Type Device Manager and then choose the top from the search result.
- After that, click the right mouse button on the device driver that needs updating and choose the Update driver option.
- Now, click the Browse my computer for drivers option and then click the Browse button.
- Choose the folder with extracted files from the CAB file => click the OK button => Next button => Close button.
Once you complete the above steps, the Device Manager will recognize and install the driver components to set up the device.
The process of installing cab file windows 10 using Powershell
Here we use Powershell to install the .cab file in Windows 10.
- Firstly, you need to launch an elevated PowerShell.
- Now, type the exact command written below into the elevated PowerShell and then press the Enter button.
Add-WindowsPackage -Online -PackagePath “Full path of .cab file”
3. If your computer demands a restart, you need to type Y when ready to do so.
How do I open an MSU file in Windows 10?
If you get the latest Windows 10 build 10586.494 manually, you will get a file named Windows10.0-kb3172985-x64_006b20fc4c418499afa25248edacff2ef7dab963.msu.
Now, move that file to the folder C:\updates, and then follow the following steps to open an MSU file in Windows 10.
- Firstly, you need to launch an elevated command prompt.
- Now, type the following command:
- At this stage, you need to correct the path to the update to match your file location.
How do I extract a CAB file in Windows 10?
The following steps will help to extract a CAB file in Windows 10.
- Firstly, you need to save the .cab file to your desktop. You will find the compressed file in the Downloads folder in your Documents if download from a website.
- Now, go to the start menu or Desktop shortcut to open WinZip. And then click file => Open to open the compressed file. If your system links the compressed file extension to the WinZip program, you need to click twice on the file.
- Next, please select all the files and folders from the compressed file or select only your needed files or folders by pressing the CTRL key and left-clicking them.
- Click Unzip and select Unzip to PC or Cloud from the WinZip toolbar that you will find under the Unzip/Share tab.
- Then, choose a folder where you want to store your extracting files, and then click the “Unzip” button.
How do I manually install language packs for Windows 10?
The following process will help you to install language packs for Windows 10.
- Begin with, chose the Start button, then select Settings => Time & Language => Language.
- Now, choose to Add a language under the Preferred language.
- Next, locate the Choose a language to install and then type or select your preferred language that you want to download => select Next.
- Again locate Install language features and then choose the features that you want to use in the language that you selected to download => select Install.
- Under Install language features, select the features that you want to use in the language and that you selected to download, then select Install.
By now, we have introduced an issue that seems problematic to many users. Hopefully, you have successfully learned how to install .cab files in Windows 10 but if anything remains unclear regarding this discussion, then feel free to ask that in the comment section.