How to turn off flashlight on Android. Nowadays, we rely on our phones too much, which is why we don’t feel the necessity of buying a separate torch for emergencies. Guess why? Because the stock flashlight app will always come in handy during load-shedding or at night to help you find your way out of the darkness.
But the issue arises when you fail to turn it off. Well, do not worry, we will review almost every possible ways to know how to turn off the flashlight on Android.
On some rare occasions, you will struggle to disable the flashlight due to a system glitch or any other app-related issues. And keeping that in mind, we will include the fixes to that issue as well. So let’s get started!
How to Turn Off Flashlight on Android – 3 Must-Try Methods:
It is as easy to turn off flashlight on Android as to turn it on. If you have left the flashlight “on” and you cannot seem to find a way to turn it off, here is our guide to help you out.
You just need to try out the methods to know which one works for you the best.
Quick Access Panel
On most Android phones the flashlight icon should be there in the quick menu panel from where you mostly access the settings screen. Even if it is not there, you can add it there so that you can easily turn off the flashlight in the future.
So, to follow the method, all you have to do is:
- From the top of your home screen or even within an app you are using swipe down. You do not need to swipe down completely, just pause when you swipe it 10% of the screen.
- The quick access panel will appear with all the quick-launch icons. From there, swipe right or left to find the flashlight or torch icon.
- Once you find the torch icon, it will appear highlighted as green or blue. However, based on your phone model the color can be different. You need to touch the highlighted torch icon to turn it off.
- On some phones, you might need to long-press the flashlight icon from the panel to open its main menu, from the menu you need to turn off the Torch On or Enabled slider.
- If you have the latest version of the Android OS or the Samsung Galaxy phone, you do not even need to swipe the access panel right or left.
- Once you swipe down the notification panel or the quick-access panel, you will see a notification that says “Torch or Flashlight Turned On” at the top of the screen.
- You can click on the downside arrow, and the “Turn Off” option will appear, tap that to complete the process.
- However, if your flashlight is not on the panel, swipe down the quick-access panel from the top of your screen, and then click on the Pen icon located at the bottom of the panel. You need to swipe down as long as you cannot see the whole panel and pen icon.
- If you are on a Samsung phone, you need to click on the three-dot menu icon located in the upper-right corner of the panel. Then from the drop-down menu select the Edit Buttons option.
- From the available buttons, long-press the Flashlight or Torch icon, then drag and release it among the icons list. You can place it anywhere you want. Now you can turn the flashlight off from the panel by pressing the highlighted torch icon.
You do not even need to manually turn off the flashlight if you have Google Assistant on your phone. Most modern Android phones now come with this feature. If you cannot turn off the flashlight with any key, motion, or panel, then this may help you.
Nevertheless, if you do not have the feature activated, you need to enable it first. So, for this method, follow the steps given below:
- If you have the official Google app on your phone, sign in with your Google account if you have not signed in already. Or download the app from the play store and sign in.
- Then open the Google app or chrome web browser and click on the profile circle at the upper-right corner of the home page. If you have not set any profile picture, it will appear as a circle with the “First Letter” of your “Google Account” name in it.
- After you click the circle, a list of options menu will open. From there select the Settings option, it should be at the bottom of the list.
- Once you open the Settings menu it will show you several options, scroll down a bit to find and open the Voice option.
- Under the Voice section, there is a Voice Match option. Ensure to tap on that to land on the “Hey Google” and “Voice Match” options page.
- From the Hey Google page, swipe right to select the This Phone option.
- Then you need to tick off or enable the Hey Google slider. Once you enable it you might need to record your voice as the Google Assistant asks you to do. Follow the prompts to activate it properly.
- Now you need to say Ok Google Turn Off the flashlight and it will do that for you. Or you can long-press the Home Button and ask Google Assistant to turn it off.
Use Motion Gestures
Most Android flashlights come with the feature to support motion or gesture. It makes it quicker and easier for you to turn off the flashlight without accessing any key. If you do not have the feature enabled, feel free to follow these steps to activate it, and then turn off the torch:
- Open the Settings menu from your home screen and go to the Gestures option.
- Or you can search for Gestures in the search field within the settings screen, it will be faster to open the option.
- Now click on the Fast flashlight option and tick off the Motion gesture slider. However, the name of the motion or gesture might not be the same on all devices. On some devices, it can be Shaking, Chopping, or other various motions.
- Then hold your phone with your hand, and shake it downward twice gently as if you are chopping something.
- Then the flashlight will turn off.
How to Fix the Flashlight Not Turning Off Issue?
Sometimes, even if you turn off the flashlight, it will not turn off in the way it requires. And it can get irritating at times, especially if you need to use your phone in public. It happens mainly because of technical glitches or bugs in phone software or other apps.
So, to fix it, follow the methods below:
Update the OS
If you are using outdated software on your Android device, you are likely to face issues with the in-built or default apps. Such as the camera, the flashlight, and so on. And that is probably because the flashlight is stuck and you cannot turn it off.
So, to fix it straight away, you need to update the Android Software following these steps:
- First off, you need to make sure you have a stable internet connection and turn off any VPN or airplane mode if enabled.
- Then proceed to open the Settings menu followed by the “About phone,” it should be at the bottom of the Settings screen.
- Press the Check for updates to see if there is any new update available, you will get to see the Install or download option if an update is available.
- Wait for the updates to install. After the update is complete your phone will restart.
- Now you can try out our methods above to turn off the flashlight. It should work fine.
Entering the safe mode on Android is an effective way to diagnose whether any third-party program is interfering with your phone’s system. To follow the method, here are the steps you need to look for:
- On most Android phones, you need to first long-press the physical power button and release it when you can see some options on the screen.
- From the options, long-press the Power off slider or icon or the restart option until you can see the Reboot to safe mode prompts on the screen.
- From the safe mode, prompt tap Ok and it will take you to the same mode. It should not take more than one minute. Once you are in safe mode, you will see safe mode text at the left corner of the screen.
- If you can easily turn off the flashlight, in this mode then the problem lies in some third-party apps.
- Reboot or restart your phone to quit the mode and then check all the third-party apps you have.
- If you do not use the apps, long-press the icon from the home page and click on the uninstall button to remove them.
Hopefully, now you should not face any issue turning off the flashlight.
Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q’s):
Can the Flashlight Drain Your Phone’s Battery?
Yes, while the flashlight is on for a few minutes, it will start draining the phone’s battery because the torch or flashlight ray produces heat, and it heats your phone up pretty fast. So, you should really use the flashlight sparingly with a few breaks in between to prevent battery drainage.
Is the Flashlight Ray Harmful to Human Eyes?
If you cannot turn off the flashlight and worry that the ray will affect your eyes badly, then drop your worries. Because the ray does not produce harmful radiation. But it is better if you keep the phone at a safe distance away from your eyes while the flashlight is on.
What Type of Radiation Does the Flashlight Emit?
Your phone’s flashlight emits UV or ultra-violet radiation. This type of radiation is not visible to your naked eyes.
How Many Hours Can the Flashlight on Android Stay Turned On?
It actually depends on how quickly your phone’s battery drains. If the battery can go on for about 8 hours a day, the flashlight can also stay on for that amount of time. And in general, a flashlight has up to 55,000 hours of lifespan.
Why Do Third-Party Apps Prevent From Turning Off the Flashlight?
If you have multiple third-party apps for the flashlight, at times they will start interfering with the default apps like the flashlight. It’s because of the buggy updates in them or the misbehaving code in their programs.
You may also be interested to know:
How to enable vr mode in Android?
How to chromecast from chrome Android?
Usually, we don’t face any issues in terms of turning off the flashlight on our Android device. But sometimes, the notification panel or the motion sensor might not work. In those cases, you can rely on the troubleshooting methods we have reviewed above how to turn off the flashlight on android.
We do not recommend using any third-party flashlight app, ask why? Because most of them tend to cause issues with the stock application, keep in mind.